Wednesday, March 23, 2011

baby, baby, baby ohh

Nope, not a post about a Justin Bieber song, but a post announcing that another little blessing is on the way!!!

That's right, Aidan's going to be a big brother. 

Today I'm 17 weeks and 5 days pregnant. According to multiple ultrasounds I should be due August 26th, give or take a few days. Since I had a c-section with Aidan, I'll probably choose to schedule another one for this baby and it will be a week earlier. Ideally August 18th would be the day, sandwiched right between my brother and dad's birthdays, but I've learned that these things just can't be planned and God has a plan for everything. 

Which leads me to our journey to this baby. I wasn't sure how this post was going to go, and quite frankly, I'm still not sure where it's going, so stick with me here. October 5th I had a miscarriage at 10 weeks. According to ultrasounds the baby measured smaller, but there was a heartbeat and three days later there was not. It was devastating, painful, and life-changing. I would have never been able to get through it had it not been for Sean; he provided a strength and support that I needed more than ever at that moment. I also had the support of my family and friends, some friends who had been through the same loss unfortunately. After healing physically and emotionally, Sean and I knew that we still wanted another child and began to try again. We could only pray that we'd be blessed again. Since I had no idea when to expect my cycle and it had been a while, I tested on Christmas Eve, nervous it was either going to make that day or break it. Much to my surprise, this is the response I got: 
Telling Sean in a creative way went right out the window! I ran downstairs and saw Aidan on his lap and I was grinning ear to ear. I showed him the test and he was just as shocked as I was. We were thrilled but also quite apprehensive. We I no longer had that naivety about how being pregnant meant having a baby, but could mean saying goodbye before hello.  

After a dating ultrasound, an ultrasound to diagnose subchorionic hematoma, and a sequential screen ultrasound, I'm so looking forward to the anatomy scan ultrasound on April 7th~Sean's birthday. Honestly if I could go in once a week to see this little one I would. I guess once I really start feeling kicks, besides these random little flutters which I attribute to gas movement, I'll be able to breathe a lot easier (at least until the baby is taking up lung space). 

Oh yeah, Aidan is super-excited! Here's how a typical conversation about the baby goes with him:
Aidan: You have a baby in your belly?
Mommy: Yup. What's in your belly?
Aidan: I have fibe (5) babies in my belly.
Mommy: Oh yeah? What's in Daddy's belly?
Aidan: {in a scary, little voice} Big alligator!
Mommy: How about Mommy's belly? 
Aidan: Just one baby. {usually while holding up one finger}

Our latest discussions have been reminding him that Mommy's baby is real and what's in Daddy and Aidan's bellies are pretend, however that hasn't stopped him from telling me that his "fibe" babies are going to sit next to him in the car seat, and my baby can sit there too. Things ought to be interesting...

My thoughts on life right now:
Whew, finally "out" on blogger and facebook!
Can't wait for Aidan to be a big brother. 
Thanks for all the prayers, support, and positive thoughts from those who already knew. 
Thank God for this blessing.

3 comments:

  1. Aww, congrats mama, that is WONDERFUL news! So sorry to hear about your m/c, I can't imagine :( But what a wonderful Christmas present!

    PS- August is a fabulous birthday month =)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. so happy for you and what an amazing journey, hope you are feeling well! congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for you! Congrats! I'm sorry you had to deal with a miscarriage. I went through one in January and it was awful. Can't wait to find out what you're having!

    ReplyDelete