Sunday, January 17, 2010

weekend recap

This recap is a little premature since I've got off tomorrow! Woohoo! All weekends should be three days long.

Friday evening Toby was scheduled for a grooming appointment and I had plans to drop him off and either browse around the nearby Target or bring a book and hang out at Dunkin' Donuts until he was done. It was going to be a nice, relaxing end to my fairly hectic week. Well, since I'm a wonderful wife, I agreed to bring Aidan with me while Sean went to the Sixers game with Colby. No big deal really, I knew Aidan would love the little animals in Petsmart and he'd cooperate long enough in Target for me to look at the few things I wanted.

Little did I know just how tricky having the dog and the toddler would be. Getting them in the car wasn't too bad, neither was getting them out of the car once we arrived. The hard part was separating the two of them at drop off. Toby didn't want to go behind the swing door when he realized we were leaving, so we had to wait until he was back there. Aidan didn't make it an inch out of the doorway of the glass door back into the store before sobbing, no wait, hysterically sobbing. One might have thought I just gave away the dog forever. Thankfully there was a bench next to the doorway and I let him stand on it to see that Toby was inside and okay. The tears didn't stop until we got to the guinea pigs. They peaked his interest and helped him forget about the dog. The cats really amused him...he especially liked when they were looking at him rather than at the volunteers on the other side of the cage. He even "pet" them through the glass before we left to visit all the fish. Of course he wanted to pet the fish too, but I suggested that we just wave instead. Good thing, a worker came by and warned me that one of the tanks on the bottom was full of little biters! Seriously? None of the tanks have lids. Why on earth would they put the biters on the bottom? Are they trying to teach nosy kids a lesson? Anyway, the fish were fairly entertaining to a little boy who loves animals that move. The birds were fun too, but they didn't move all that much. On the way out the door the sobs almost came back to get us. All Aidan kept saying was "dog" in various forms---question, statement, worried, sad; he just wanted the dog.

We got to Target three minutes later and he was still asking for the dog. This time pointing to the seat next to him as if to tell me he wanted him back in the car with us. Poor guy. Luckily we made it through most of Target before needing to pull out the ever-soothing Cheerios which manage to leave a Hansel and Gretel type trail behind us. Awesome Steph met up with us toward the end of our trip and we certainly enjoyed her company. She also suggested stopping at the local pizza place for dinner before Toby was done. Heck, Cheerios on the go can be dinner sometimes, she'll learn. Anyway, we went over for a slice and of course as soon as we got it I got a call saying Toby was done. So after enjoying some pizza we said goodbye and Aidan and I went off to get Toby. I'm not sure who was more excited, Aidan or Toby. They were so happy to see each other. We visited all the other animals once more then were on our way home. Both boys were asleep not long after hitting the road.

Saturday we went to Jack's 1st birthday party. For a little guy he gets around so well! We enjoyed some great company and food. Aidan loved seeing some other kids and it was nice for us to hang with adults.

Today Sean and Aidan took care of me for a couple of hours while I fought a migraine. A hug really can make me feel so much better. Once the migraine was gone we decided to go to the diner nearby for breakfast, except when we got there we both ended up ordering our typical diner lunch and immediately regretted it. Oh well. Aidan enjoyed his french fries, few bites of chicken, and finished off his pudding. The rain was terrible, but great for getting some cleaning done. We went through our clothes and managed to come up with four bags to donate. I'm sure we could have gotten more but Sean likes to keep things...he'll always be prepared if we need to give an army t-shirts. No really, I'm pleased with how much he did today. Tomorrow hopefully I can organize the rest of our room and maybe one other room in our house. Most importantly tomorrow I'm going to enjoy the time with Aidan.

My thoughts on life right now:
Time goes so fast.
Aidan continues to amaze and amuse us.
It feels good to have gotten some things done this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment