Thursday, July 30, 2009

15 month check-up

Yesterday Aidan had his 15 month check-up. The reason it took me an entire day to blog about it is because I heard a few words that I just didn't want to hear. "He has a slight murmur." Yeah, those are the words that turned a good appointment into a not so good day. The pediatrician listened to his heart and heard a slight heart murmur, one that hasn't been heard in him before, and wants us to get it checked by a pediatric cardiologist. So yesterday after our appointment I called CHOP to get an appointment. The earliest we can get in is September 11th at their Voorhees site. I then called Dupont to see if we could get in any earlier and the woman was not only a complete witch, but she couldn't give me an earlier appointment so I really didn't like her much. So, say a prayer or two for our little guy that this is just something minor and the pediatrician's ears weren't working well or it's something that will fix itself.

As for the rest of the appointment, that went really well; well, except for the scale. I think he's getting to the point where he's not so into being laid down on the scale to get weighed. He'd rather stand on the big kid scale since he's a big-bad-walker now. He wasn't happy about sitting there naked having some strange woman closer to him than mommy. The first time she weighed him he was 23.5 pounds which is less than his 12 month weight. Then we had to do it again. Finally a little more normal read and once I picked him up he gave me the biggest hug ever. So cute.


His stats this month were:
Weight: 25 pounds 14 ounces (75th percentile)
Height: 32 inches (75th percentile)
Head Circumference: 49cm (97th percentile)
He gained one pound and one inch since his 12 month check-up. He used to be in the 75th-90th for his weight, 95th for his height and was always off the charts with his head, so he moved down in the percentiles a bit. My great big guy isn't so big on the charts any more due to all that movement!
She said that he is developing very well and that he looks just perfect (we already knew that!). When it was time for the nurse to give him his vaccine he laid down fine and then screamed like she cut off his leg when she stuck him. Poor guy. I feel so bad doing it to him but it's far better than getting any of the diseases. He was fine within a few minutes and after a little juice. He even held my hand and walked out even though the nurse said his leg might be too sore to walk today. I guess he was just showing her just how tough he is.
My thoughts on life right now:
Health is priceless.
Prayer is powerful.
Aidan is everything.

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to let you know I'm sending lots of good thoughts Aidan's way!! I have a minor heart murmur too (I have since birth), and I can tell you that from everything I remember about CHOP, everyone there is great. Sending lots of good thoughts to your little boy!

    Shari :-)

    ReplyDelete